- We only ask for personal information that we require.
- We'll tell you what information we have recorded about you.
- If you would like any personal information changed or deleted, just ask.
Who we are
ARMS is the Australasian Research Management Society. ABN 57 334 849 485 Contact GPO Box 2100 Adelaide, SA, 5001. Tel +61 8 8201 5592. Email email@example.com.
What we know about you from your visit to our website
When you visit our web site, our web server automatically records some general information about your visit, but does not recognise or record any personal information about you. The information we record and use for statistical purposes is:
- Your server address
- The date and time
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded
- The previous site visited
- The type of browser used
We can only identify you personally if you give us this information voluntarily.
Cookies are used to control pop-up windows, so that you are not annoyed with lots of pop-up windows every time you visit the site.
How we use this information
We use information about your visit to improve the content of our web site and analyse what pages people visit, and to keep in touch with you.
Who has access to your information?
We use this information internally and share it with other people or organisations who need to know it as part of working with us in our normal business activities (e.g. sub-contractors).
We do not share your personal information with others except under these conditions, and we do not disclose or sell your personal information to others for use in mailing lists or databases.
If our information practices change at some time in the future we will post the policy changes to our web site to notify you of these changes and provide you with the ability to opt out of these new uses. If you are concerned about how your information is used, you should check back at our Web site periodically.
Your e-mail address
If you have given us your e-mail address, but do not want to receive e-mail from us in the future, please let us know by sending us an e-mail at the above address.
- 1 ARMS only collects personal information for one or more of its functions or activities. These include holding conferences and other events and communicating with members about matters related to the Society's activities.
- 2 ARMS will collect personal information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
- 3 ARMS collects personal information about an individual member from the individual primarily using forms that are completed by the individual. When information is provided on an employee of a corporate member, ARMS operates on the basis that this is with the consent of the employee.
- 4 If ARMS collects personal information about an individual from someone else, it will take reasonable steps to ensure that the individual is or has been made aware of the fact that this information has been collected and of the rights set out in this policy.
2. Use and disclosure
- 1 ARMS maintains a register of members, containing the name, address, organisational affiliation of each member and joining date.
- 2 Personal information will not be used or disclosed except in accordance with the association law that governs the Society and as stated in its constitution, under which a register of members is available to all members, or unless ARMS reasonably believes that any of the following subclauses (a) to (f) apply:
(a) the use or disclosure is in connection with, or directly related to, one or more aspects of ARMS' purposes and activities
(b) ARMS got the information from a publicly available publication
(c) the individual has consented to the use or disclosure, or the disclosure is to the individual concerned
(d) if the information is for direct marketing, (i) to (iv) of the following all apply:
(i) it is impracticable for ARMS to seek the individual's consent before that particular use (ii) the individual has not asked ARMS not to send direct marketing communications (iii) in each direct marketing communication with the individual, ARMS draws to the individual's attention, or prominently displays a notice, that he or she may express a wish not to receive any further direct marketing communications (iv) each written direct marketing communication by ARMS with the individual sets out ARMS' business address and telephone number and a number or address at which ARMS can be directly contacted electronically
(e) ARMS reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious and imminent threat to an individual's life, health or safety; or a serious threat to public health or public safety; or is reasonably necessary for legally valid reasons
3. Data quality, access and correction
- 1 ARMS will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information it collects, uses or discloses is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
- 2 ARMS will provide an individual on whom holds personal information with access to the information if that person asks, unless the request for access is frivolous or vexatious or there are legal reasons for denying access.
- 3 If ARMS holds personal information about an individual and the individual is able to establish that the information is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, ARMS will take reasonable steps to correct the information.
- 4 If the individual and ARMS disagree about whether the information is accurate, complete and up-to-date, and the individual asks ARMS to associate with the information a statement claiming that the information is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, ARMS must take reasonable steps to do so.
- 5 ARMS will provide reasons for denial of access or a refusal to correct personal information.
4. Data security
- 1 ARMS will take reasonable steps to protect the personal information it holds from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- 2 ARMS will not keep personal information for longer than needed for the purpose for which ARMS collected it.
- 3 ARMS will ensure that if it is necessary to give information to another person, such as someone working on contract, everything reasonable is done to prevent unauthorised use or unauthorised disclosure of the information.
- 1 ARMS does not assign unique identifiers to individuals except where this is necessary to carry out its functions efficiently, such as in membership records and conference registrations.
- 2 An individual's name or Australian Business Number is not an identifier for the purpose of this policy.
6. Transborder data flows
7. Sensitive information
- 1 ARMS will not collect sensitive information about an individual unless any of the following apply: the individual has consented or if the information is collected in the course of ARMS activities, the information relates solely to members of ARMS or to individuals who have contact with it in connection with its activities
- 2 ARMS does not collect health information about individuals, except for the purpose of service provision, such as dietary and physical access preferences or requirements.
If you feel that this site or ARMS overall is not following its stated information policy, please contact us at the above addresses or phone number.