The Singapore campus of James Cook University is fully owned by James Cook University Australia, which is ranked in the top 2%* of universities in the world. James Cook University Australia established its Singapore campus in 2003 as part of its expressed intent of internationalising its activities and offers a suite of university level programs at the Singapore campus covering the areas of Business, Information Technology, Psychology, Education, Accounting, Arts, Aquaculture, Environmental Science, Games Design, Tourism and Hospitality.
James Cook University offers Higher Degree by Research programs# such as Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Philosophy and pathways to a higher degree. Additionally, the campus offers courses at the pre-university level, specifically designed to provide pathways for students who are unable to immediately meet university entrance standards.
The campus is growing and very friendly and academic staff across the disciplines and administrative staff often interact. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region. The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, live in a fascinating and exciting city.
The Associate Director Research and Enterprise is a key role within the Singapore campus of James Cook University (JCUS) and our Tropical Futures Institute focused on building new research related activities and increased awareness of JCU’s contribution and expertise relevant to the Singapore R&D ecosystem. The role will promote JCU’s research and specialist expertise, establish and support external linkages, identify partnership and funding opportunities, and match appropriate resources to formalise and facilitate delivery of research projects and initiatives – drawing on expertise from JCUS, the Tropical Futures Institute and across all campuses of JCU. The position will be based at JCU’s Singapore campus, and will operate as a virtual member of the JCUConnect team in Australia to share best practice, business intelligence and common resources.
Reporting to the Director, Marketing the position holder will:
- Develop and maintain knowledge of research expertise and capabilities of staff across JCU Singapore, the Tropical Futures Institute and JCU Australia
- Develop knowledge of, and communicate, industry and community sectoral and national strategies and research requirements to support the development of JCU's research direction and priorities, and expand JCU's networks and spheres of influence with potential partners
- Understand the R&D landscape and opportunities, in particular those relevant to the Singaporean context
- Develop and deliver in conjunction with the Dean of Research and Associate Director External Relations, a plan for increasing the number and value of research-based partnerships
- Develop, and support partnerships between industry and JCU researchers by connecting opportunities with appropriate sources of funding and formalise these partnerships by supporting the negotiation and development of formal contracts
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with partner and funding agencies
- Identify and contribute to JCU research process improvements which lead to improved client service, including reducing barriers to research, partnering and the subsequent growth of research-related income.
- In conjunction with JCU Connect participate in a team-based approach to identifying, evaluating, and maximising the value of research-based partnerships
- Provide advice and guidance to researchers regarding JCU policies and processes, contractual obligations, grant processes and competitive applications and assist with targeting funding and collaborative opportunities to JCU researchers.
- Develop and deliver high quality written reports and verbal presentations to a range of audiences in relation to research partnerships and business opportunities.
- Collaboration with the marketing team to promote JCU research externally and internally
- Engaging high calibre researchers for external talks
- Work with JCU researchers in Singapore to identify, protect and exploit intellectual assets.
- Identify opportunities in the region for local exploitation of JCUA intellectual property. With the large international business community in Singapore, there may be an opportunity to find licensees for Australian owned technologies
Key Selection Criteria:
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education and/or training
- Senior leadership experience in a research-led organisation with at least 6 years relevant experience
- Demonstrated highly developed analytical skills leading to the development and implementation of successful policies and plans;
- Knowledge of due diligence processes and the identification and management of areas of risk.
- Demonstrated high level communication skills, both written and oral, and an ability to work both collaboratively and independently with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated track record of building trust-based, client-focussed relationships and delivering high quality results in business development or sales environments.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully engaging with industry partners through appropriate negotiations which result in income generation.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results in an environment of ambiguity and complexity whilst managing multiple initiatives.
- Proven ability to develop, formalise, and manage research-based relationships to achieve desired outcomes.
- Knowledge of Singapore Government Ministries and Officials with experience of partnership development with government agencies and academic institutions
- Legal knowledge and intellectual property management experience
- Experience of research dissemination event management
Enquiries: Mr Andrew Chew, Director Marketing: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: +65-67093605
Employment type: Fulltime tenure subject to Ministry-of-Manpower-Singapore jurisdiction and probationary period.
Remuneration and conditions: The positions command an appropriate remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. All employment salary arrangements are offered in SGD. Candidates must consider the lower tax structure in Singapore and the organisational practice of Annual-Wage-Supplement equal to a month’s salary at the end of the calendar year(as eligible) subject to JCU board’s decision.
Associate Director: SGD90 000 per annum – SGD135 000 per annum
Please send in your application to http://careers.jcu.edu.sg/cw/en/listing/
Closing Date: 02 January 2020
We thank you for your interest and regret we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right to invite applications or, alternatively, not to make an appointment or make an appointment at a lower job grade.